Original Crown Mill
The most distinguished paper in the world.
The history of Crown Mill has its roots in the modernist spirit of the Renaissance. It all started in 1478 when Emperor Maximilian permitted the monks of La Hulpe Monastery in Belgium to build a mill on the banks of a tiny river known as the Argentine. Two centuries later, on the orders of King Charles II, this water mill became the Royal Mill for the production of writing paper. 1870 saw the arrival on the scene of our founder, Frédéric Pelletier.
He opened a factory for writing paper and envelopes in Brussels, ordering from the Royal Mill a laid paper which was an authentic copy of the original handmade paper. And so "Original Crown Mill" was born.